- “The Death and Life of Great American Cities” by Jane Jacobs, 1961.
- “Rail Integrated Communities in Tokyo” by J. Calimente, 2012.
- “Transforming Cities with Transit” by Suzuki, Cervero, and Iuchi, 2013.
- “When Tokyo was a Slum” by M. Echanove and R. Srivastava, 2013.
- “World Development Report 2009: Reshaping Economic Geography”.
- Gehl Architects on Private Rail Operators in Japan.
- Keiichiro Ando on the history of Japan’s Rail Stations (“towns within towns”).
- Shinichi Kato on the history of rail company diversification in Japan.
Relevant Texts (Commercial/Marketing Oriented)
- Review of Operations from JR East, 2005.
- Keikyu Group plans for continued integration of rail/tourism/hotel operations (more details here).