“Oasis 21” is an enclosed bus terminal attached to an open-air shopping center. It is located at the intersection of two major subway lines (and the terminus of a third), and is directly connected to the large underground malls of the Sakae area (e.g. 森の地下街、クリスタル広場).
It is a “3D” station, with four layers. From top to bottom:
- A publicly accessible glass roof. This “Spaceship-Aqua” is covered in water, save for the walkable rim. The view from the top is amazing at night.
- A “field of green”which slopes up from street level on the west side to sky level on the east side.
- A modern bus terminal, serving both city and inter-city buses.
- 30 shops arranged around “Milky Way Plaza”. The shops include: 3 “cute mascot” stores, 3 boutique clothing stores, a full service konbini, 8 ‘fancy’ restaurants, 3 cafes, a McDonalds, a pastry shop, an ice-cream shop, a travel agency (specializing in honeymoons), and 2 telecom service shops.
Multiple public and private bus lines are served by the Oasis 21 terminal: (from http://f.hatena.ne.jp/rosenzu/20100321132006)
Departure times are displayed digitally. Gate 8 shown here: (from http://f.hatena.ne.jp/rosenzu/20100321132304)
The bus terminal is immediately adjacent & directly connected to 3 subway lines:
The area is well connected by underground malls:
And those underground malls are alive with commerce (note also the maps and wayfinding signs!):
Kikuko’s “Love Nagoya; Know Nagoya” lists dozens of hotels near the various exits.
- View of the Spaceship-Aqua at night.
- View of the Spaceship-Aqua in daylight (view from NE corner).
- Inside the theatre at the Aichi Arts Center, directly adjacent to the Oasis 21 Bus Terminal (directly connected at both subway level and sky level).
- View from the top of the Spaceship-Aqua.